Skip to main content
- Elected as the President of the South African Mathematical Society.
- Papers on exactness properties published in Journal of Algebra and Advances in Mathematics.
- Invited to give a plenary talk at the BRICS Mathematics Conference.
- Secured funding for a national research programme in mathematics.
- First computer implementation of the SOFiA proof system developed.
- Supervised four postgraduate students (two PhD and two MSc).
- Two papers on matrix properties submitted.
- Served as the mathematical sciences programme coordinator and on a university research committee.
- Taught and/or convened two semester modules and two year modules.
- Progress made on existing and new research projects and delivered talks on those.
- Carried out duties in the role as mathematical sciences programme coordinator and member of a university research committee.
- Carried out refereeing and editorial duties (not listed below).
- Finalized marks for Foundations of Abstract Mathematics I, II and an honors module in Logic.
- Resumed research on a noetherian form of sets.
- The binary matrix properties paper submitted for publication (corresponding author: M. Hoefnagel) - see the submitted version of the paper here.
- The revised version of the paper on matrix taxonomy re-submitted for publication (corresponding author: M. Hoefnagel) - see the new version here.
- Talk given at SAMS Congress on the matrix project - see the write-up of the talk here.
- At the SAMS AGM held during the congress, I was appointed to serve on the SAMS Council as the President of the South African Mathematical Society for 2022-2023.
- Plenary talk given at the 4th BRICS Mathematics Conference on noetherian forms (slides, recording). This talk was given jointly with Amartya Goswami.
- Funding awarded for the NITheCS research programme in Mathematics, entitled "Space-like mathematical structures and related topics in algebra, logic and computation", which was expanded to include 20 mathematicians in South Africa.
- Mathematical Sciences Programme tasks continued.
- Paper published: linear exactness properties in Journal of Algebra. See the paper on the journal's website here.
- Some progress made on the SOFiA project, including implementation of an intuitive command-line proof building interface for sofia.py. Used this tool in the delivery of the Foundations of Abstract Mathematics I seminar in the fourth term.
- The binary matrix properties paper finalized from my side.
- Worked on the revision of the matrix taxonomy paper. Revision in progress can be found here.
- Together with Amartya Goswami, gave a NITheCS mini-school (October 2021) on Elementary Introduction to Category Theory. See this blog for the write-up and links to video-recordings of lectures.
- Talk given at SIC on forms vs monoidal categories. See the write-up and the recording of the talk here. See the recordings of all talks here.
- Examiners nominated for the MSc Thesis of Paul Hugo, to be finalized by the end of the year.
- Developed a NITheCS national programme in Mathematics for 2022, under collaboration with Amartya Goswami, Partha Pratim Ghosh and Yorick Hardy.
- Further progress made on the binary matrix properties paper.
- Started writing a book in abstract algebra jointly with Amartya Goswami. You can follow the progress here.
- Started work on some tasks related to the Mathematical Sciences Programme.
- Teaching Foundations of Abstract Mathematics II in the third term and honor module in Logic in the second semester.
- Started sketching ideas for a NITheCS national programme in Mathematics for 2022.
- The paper on linear exactness properties, joint work with Pierre-Alain Jacqmin, was accepted for publication in Journal of Algebra (it is scheduled for publication in October 2021 - follow the link).
- Started (co-)supervision of PhD studies of Brandon Laing on SOFiA.
- Started supervision of PhD studies of Ineke van der Berg on categorical algebra of algebraic logic.
- Started a new research project on applications of forms to physics.
- Continued with the teaching of Engineering Mathematics 214 and Set Theory and Topology.
- Busy with marking of Foundations of Abstract Mathematics I first term seminar final assignments.
- Started work on matches of digraphs: pioneering joint work with Francois van Niekerk and Jade Viljoen (research grew out from her honors project).
- Started work on binary matrix properties: joint work with Michael Hoefnagel, Pierre-Alain Jacqmin and Emil van der Walt (undergraduate student) on the structure of the poset of matrix properties. The project grew out from Emil solving problems that Michael and I suggested to him in the fall of 2021, which naturally evolved from a joint work with Michael and Pierre-Alain.
- Made some progress with SOFiA: joint work with Louise Beyers, Gregor Feierabend and Brandon Laing. First python implementation of the SOFiA proof system produced. As a result, its deduction rules were refined.
- Started supervision of MSc studies of Daniella Moore on categorical aspects of near-vector spaces (cosupervised by Karin Howell).
- Teaching Engineering Mathematics 214 (together with Liam Baker, Ronalda Benjamin, and Michael Hoefnagel) in the first semester and giving a Foundations of Abstract Mathematics I seminar in Mathematical Reasoning in the first term. Also teaching an honors module, Set Theory and Topology, in the first semester.
- The paper on stability of exactness properties under pro-completion, a 7 year old joint work with Pierre-Alain Jacqmin, was published in Advances in Mathematics.
- The paper on matrix taxonomy has been submitted for publication.
- Revisited research on a noetherian form of sets: together with Francois van Niekerk, we are elaborating the proof of our recent theorem that the category of sets provides a model for the self-dual axiomatic setup for homomorphism theorems proposed in my publication no. 35. Significant progress was made with the corresponding paper, but it still needs to more work.
- Serving on the Subcommittee B of the Research Committee of Stellenbosch University for 2021, as well as on the Programme Committee of the Faculty of Science.
Post a Comment